Friday, June 4, 2010

Who am I?

Who am I? I am Christine (Bennett) (Lewis) McGill. Those who know me call me "Chris". I was born in Greeley, Colorado to the late Donald and Judith Bennett. My birthday is on Pearl Harbor Day, December 7th. I have 2 younger sisters. I married my high school sweetheart. My sweetheart joined the Air Force and we moved to Massachusetts where we spent 7 years. During those first 7 years, my 2 beautiful daughters, Renea and Rachelle, were born. The Air Force moved us again to Colorado Springs, Colorado. This is where my handsome son, Brian, was born. After 13 years of marriage, we went our separate ways. This is when I met and married my current sweetheart. The Air Force once again moved me (for a final time) to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. While here, I was blessed with becoming a grandma! I have a handsome grandson named Braylon.

What do I do? I currently work for the United States Air Force as a Program Technician in the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office. I work with survivors of sexual assault. This can be a very difficult but rewarding job. I have volunteered as a Victim Advocate for the Gulf Coast Women's Center for Nonviolence doing rape crisis intervention.

I had decided early on that I wanted to follow in my mother's footsteps and be an Elementary Ed teacher. I started pursuing my degree in that area. After completing my Associate's Degree with MGCCC and transferring to USM, I decided to change my major to Criminal Justice. A degree in Criminal Justice will help me with my current passion, assisting victims. I will minor in Psychology as I have already completed many of those requirements.

Writing? The type of writing I enjoy most is journaling/note taking. This is the most easiest and enjoyable for me. I spent all those years in the Secretary career field doing just that! Journaling can be creative. It's also very relaxing to be able to get emotions out and expressed on paper. It is a way of cheap counseling. ;-)

What do I want out of this class? I want to be able to learn different styles of writing. I want to be able to write for different levels of understanding, ex., report writing, briefings, speeches, letters, etc. There are times when some of these areas are 'blocks' for me, especially the speeches and briefings. The information gathering for the briefings is easy, it's finding a good flow that is the difficult part and then putting it all together so it sounds good. By the way, an A in the class wouldn't be bad either!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment